Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts~ Heart Shape

I'm definitely NOT skilled in the art of cooking and baking. I flop more than I succeed, but every now and then magic happens. On occasions I make something that is more than just edible- it's actually really, REALLY tasty! haha! 
Don't you love when that happens?! 
Anywho- here's a quick recipe for delicious and somewhat nutritious homemade pop tarts...
Ingredients for dough: 
-2 cups flour (I used wheat flour although take note that your pop tarts will be a bit harder with wheat flour.)
-1tbls sugar
-1tsp salt (I used Himalayan pink salt) 
-1cup butter (I only used 1/2 cup butter because I ran out and substituted 1/4 sawfflower oil) 
1 large egg
2tbs milk
**** mix all dry then add wet ingredients. Mix dough, sprinkle some flour on flat surface, roll out dough and use cookie cutter to form shape that you desire. 
BAKE at 350 degrees for 15-20min. Times vary... Keep an eye on it!
*NOTE: you will be cutting out a heart (or whatever shape you choose) for both bottom and top, then will pinch around the pastry to "seal" it.

Filling: 
I used 3/4c Costco's organic strawberry jam.
3-4 fresh strawberries chopped.
2tbls corn starch 
1tsp water

Frosting:
I didn't use measurements for this... Sorry. But good news is it's pretty easy and totally upto your taste buds on how much you want to add...
Use powdered sugar, pure vanilla extract, butter and a little milk. That's it. I kept mixing until the taste and consistency was what I wanted. 

I drizzled the frosting on top and added sprinkles for a fun finish! 
Like I mentioned before, I'm no master chef/baker... But my kids and I really enjoyed this and I'm sure you'll be able to add your own spin to make these even better! Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment