Sunday, May 29, 2011

Art Heals Mommy


Art is all around us. It is vibration through speakers, ink on paper, seeing through a lens and creating with our hands. Art is something that almost all of us can find a common ground with. There is something that we can all agree on….art is everywhere. So how does art heal? And how does it heal this mommy? To me, art is a necessity. Much like air and water; art feeds my soul and gives me strength to get through the days ahead. I take each and every artistic moment of my life and keep it locked away within me, ready to surface into my work space when the time is right. As a mother it might be hard to tap into your creative self. How in the world are we to find our creativeness amongst the care giving of our young? How do we find time to make creativity happen in a day limited by time screaming past us? My children are my keyhole to the creative world……a creative world for moms. My children give me the gift of seeing the world through their eyes and this gift is a beautiful one. I see life piece by piece, with movements slow and colors vibrant.

A tree is no longer just a tree. A tree is a skyscraper with arms; colors that are crisp earthy forest greens and browns. This tree is so much more to my children then I ever gave it credit for and so with that the art of play has taken place. I get inspirations from my children. Every story they tell, cloud they marvel at and hug they give has opened my eyes to what they value as artistic and fun.

Art has given me a chance to embrace difficult times as a parent. It heals the heart and allows a re-birth of the mind. During the time I lived in Montana I was constantly surrounded by beauty. The scenery was amazing. Mountains were so high it looked as though it was a path to heaven; climbing towards the endless powdery blue skies. I would lose myself in thought as I watched the clouds pass by. During my time in Montana I began to write….a lot. I tapped into the art of writing and fell in love with the freedom of it. Every time I would write I was allowing a little piece of me to spill out onto paper. How vulnerable of me yet exciting all at once. Now as a mother I write for the same reason….I love it, but also because my children keep each and every day interesting and fun which gives me more and more inspiration. Art is alive and well in my home.

Here are 5 ways Art Heals<this>Mommy:

1)      Art, such as writing, clears a cluttered mind: I can release thoughts that are crowding space within my mind. Whether good or bad, writing allows me to “get it off my chest”.
2)      Art keeps me grounded: Seeing, reading etc someone else’s art opens my eyes to the diversity and the amazing talent that others have. I become a student every time I dive into someone else’s work.
3)      I’m bonding with my kids: Nothing heals more than to see our children happy. Art can be painting a picture or running through the mud and making foot prints on the concrete. My kids dig it and so do I.
4)      I can “find” myself through art: As a mother it’s easy to feel like I’ve lost myself but art allows me to feel connected to who I am as an individual.
5)       Art is stress free in a stressful world: If I’m working on a project I don’t feel stressed. Art gives you a chance to open the creative flood gates and turn off the panic button.

So, as long as I can fulfill my creative needs and share this love with my children, I will continue to be happy and inspired by all that surrounds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment