Monday, January 17, 2011

Mastitis when Breastfeeding: I call it SABOTAGE!

Friday morning started off as it always does: Adam up for work, Logan and Isabella creeping by my side to wake me up and Nolan squirming around for a feeding. Immediately I noticed that something was wrong. My right breast felt sore and Mastitis was the first thing to enter my mind. I should know since I had Mastitis while breastfeeding my other two kids. As the day progressed my breast continued to feel sore accompanied with new symptoms of redness and warmth. I began to panic. How could this happen, again? I know all too well the possible results of Mastitis, one being weaning, due to a decrease in milk supply, nipple and breast pain and fatigue, women tend to supplement. I have struggled through Mastitis with my daughter and together we got through it. She did her part, nursing and unclogging the milk duct and I did my part, resting and being persistent with constant nursing. It was tough but it was what I needed to do to continue with breastfeeding.

My husband came home early to help me so I could rest and by the end of the day I felt much better. Saturday we went to Disneyland and for most of the day I felt pretty good. By the end of the day things started to change. My body began to ache and I was getting chills. My eyes felt like they were on fire and my breast became extremely sore. These symptoms  came on fast and hard. All of a sudden I felt my body beaten down as if I had just been pelted by a million darts. I hated the thought of ending the night early but eventually I succumbed to the apparent needs of my body. The car ride home was a difficult one. My body aches were throbbing and my eyes still felt as if they were of fire. I had my jacket on with the heater on blasting in my direction for a second and then turned off to not over heat the car. The next day I continued to fight what I was sure I had.....Mastitis. By the end of the day I found myself a seat in urgent care. Hopefully some of the information below will be helpful for other mommies.

What is Mastitis:
Mastitis is inflammation of the breast from an infection. Mastitis can be caused by bacteria from a babies mouth entering through cracked nipples, producing a lot of milk and failing to properly drain breasts, engorgement, stress, extreme upper body activity such as lifting weights, lack of rest or being "run down" and anemia.

Signs and symptoms:
Some of the signs and symptoms are as followed:
  • Sore and red area on breast
  • Breast feels warm to the touch
  • fever
  • chills
  • body aches
  • fatigue
Treatment:
From my experiences with Mastitis, talking with my doctor and research there are a few things you can do at home to help recover from Mastitis. Eating well, drinking lots of fluids and getting plenty of rest is crucial to the recovery process since these are key to a healthy mind and body. Use a heating pad or warm (good for circulation) and/or cold (relieves pain) compress on the sore area of breast, take a warm shower; massage sore area of breast, vary positioning of baby at breast, take Acetaminophen and/or Ibuprofen; don't wear a bra, nurse, nurse and nurse some more. If there is no improvement within 24 hours then see your physician who will most likely prescribe you an antibiotic.

NOTE: When restoring your milk supply that you once had (since Mastitis decreases your supply) don't be discouraged when your baby wants to nurse ALL day long. If you can let him/her. Your baby is building that supply right back up!

I hope that this little bit of information helps a breastfeeding mom that might be faced with the same issues that I have dealt with. If you have had Mastitis please share your experience. Mastitis can be a tough illness to deal with especially with the daily demands that we all have. If your desire is to continue breastfeeding then don't let Mastitis sabotage it.






No comments:

Post a Comment