Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Old Hope Chest given new life!

Life has once again taken me in a whirlwind and placing me in a pile of laundry. Rarely do I get placed calmly, in a chair, next to a computer... So, here I am and so sorry for not posting lately! 

I love repurposing things. There is such a thrill when you take an item that no longer has it's charm and bring it back to life with a little TLC.

I first received this Hope Chest when I was 14 years old. 


It was my birthday gift and I couldn't have been more disappointed... Of course I got older and wiser, therefore truly realizing how precious of an item this is! 

Since first receiving this Hope Chest, I have moved many times. It's received many battle wounds upon the moves. I wasn't a fan of the fabric originally placed on this piece and wasn't really sure if I would be able to place new fabric on it. Luckily I was able to! 

After a little brain storming, I came up with this:


Purchased cheap and funky knobs (the two round pieces) and painted all of the knobs shown (I used my acrylic yellow paint). The yellow painted knobs add a fun pop of color instead of being drowned out by the dark wood. If you can find colorful knobs, go for it, but it might come at a hefty cost. I unscrewed the top piece of the hope chest and re-covered it with new fabric in the color that matches my home color scheme. I made and added the yellow chevron pillows. I've never been one to match- the more colorful and funky, the better! This beautiful Hope Chest is the beginning to my "mud room". All materials were very inexpensive, costing me a total of 12 bucks!! Use those coupons, people!!:-)

Happy creating! 
Take care! 
Cheri 

No comments:

Post a Comment