Friday, February 18, 2011

Oh, what a day...

When I woke up this morning I just knew it was gonna be a doozy. The kind of day where everything is out of place, complete chaos and me  frazzled and frantic. Yup, I had one of those days. I woke up late, somehow sleeping through my phone alarm which was placed right next to my head. I had less than 30min to get three kids dressed, fed and into the car. This would be a challenge I was NOT up for. Of course the mornings that you want the kids up and ready for the day are the mornings that they are knocked out, drooling on the pillow, snug as a bug. Finally after getting them up the chaos really began. The kids were screaming through the house, chasing after each other and throwing toys around. I was literally playing a game of "catch me if you can" and let me tell you they are faster than they look!
Breakfast is always a difficult time but not as chaotic as dinner. Getting my kids to eat is like getting our Dachshund to stop barking.....impossible. I have asked the pediatrician time and time again whether or not my children seem malnourished. They just don't eat, or not as nearly as much as I would think they would want to for how active they are. Every time the doctor assures me they are fine and that they will eat when they are hungry. Growing up food is what my family related to; big dinners and eating until your shirt buttons popped off was expected. Healthy, right? I know that stuffing yourself isn't healthy but not eating can't be good either yet they do eat when they want, they thrive and their activity level has definitely not decreased. Anyway, breakfast was a big ordeal and ultimately ended with spilled orange juice on the floor and my 2yr old daughter walking in it with her clean socks.
"We are going to be late" should have became my personal bumper sticker. I said it a million times yet it really didn't mean anything to my kids. They laughed, smeared food in the carpet, spilled juice and ran around for me to chase after them as I had a deep rooted, well hidden panic attack. Finally the kids were in the car and with a sigh of relief we were off. Smooth sailing from here and I was feeling a bit better as if the day was gonna be alright. I dropped my son off at school and headed to run some errands with my other two kids. The events that happened next were truly the grand finale of craziness. I had parked my car in a parking lot with plenty of parking. There were spots not only on either sides of my car but most everywhere else. As I am getting ready to get out a huge SUV parks on my right side and parks so close I was shocked that the driver was able to get out. I didn't get a chance to ask him to move because it wasn't until I left my seat and walked over to get my 3 month old that I realized how close he really was. I had to get my daughter first so that I could place her in the cart since I would have my son in a baby carrier and wouldn't be able to lift her. So, I did exactly that and had her in the cart and moved her over to the side my 3 month old was on and had her as close to me as I could. As I leaned into the car to get my son I had a weird urge to quickly look back at my daughter. The cart was rolling away! Yes, ROLLING AWAY! I was shocked that the cart could even roll away so easily since I wedged it up against my car and the car door but I assume my daughter pushed off the car with her feet. I had some super powers in me today because I leaped over to my daughter as if I had a trampoline catapulting me in her direction. She didn't get far but it was scary and something that I have never had happen. All the while my daughter was laughing having a good ol' time.
Here comes the best part of the day.....When we return to our car, after the errands were done, I start loading the items I purchased and got the kids all buckled in. I had shut all the doors and was ready to get into the drivers seat and go get my oldest from preschool. When I lifted the handle to my door I realized it was locked (my car has automatic lock and sometimes locks for safety of someone trying to open either side door). ALL the doors were locked. I did what any frazzled, crazed mother would do...panic... something that does no good for anyone. Long story short, an amazingly nice women offered her phone (my purse-with my phone- was locked in the car) and stayed with me until the fire dept came. By the way, I am totally shocked that the fire dept was called for this but I am extremely grateful I got help and so quickly too. My kiddos were fine and I only had a few heart attacks.
I have to say that just when I think that there are very few people in this world that care about what someone else is going through or is just plain mean I meet someone that is so kind and selfless; giving up their time to help me. This women left her shopping to come with me outside and help me relax while I waited for help. I am very grateful for her act of kindness.
Today was definitely "one of those days" but I also learned quite a bit from today as well. I learned that messes will happen (I need to give up on keeping cheerios from being disbursed all over the floor), sometimes it's okay to wear boots, sweats, a tutu and mommies hat out in public-per my daughters request, if you see a shopping cart rolling down the street it might be my kid, ALWAYS keep your car keys on you, even if you have to tape a spare set to your forehead and last but certainly NOT least...kind people are still out there. Now that the day has come to an end I am snugly in my bed, typing away listening to 4 other people snoring. I LOVE IT! Makes today all worth it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Cheri! What a day.....thankfully everything worked out! Why do people always park next to other people when a bunch of other spots are available? I always hate that and I can't help but give people the "look" when they do because it is sooooo annoying. I always leave my son in the cart when I am strapping in my little one, I will definitely remember your experience and be more cautious... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear the parking thing happened with me twice this week! Stupid idiots parked practically on top of me so that we had to back the car out just to get the kids in. Once at the Spectrum and once at the Westminster Mall. WTH? Both of the cars were SUVs too which makes me think that if you can't PARK your SUV you shouldn't be allowed to DRIVE it!!! Well, glad you and your kiddos are okay. Did you at least get to peep some cute firefighters?! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica:Don't these people, that park so close, realize that their car might be hit by the swinging door of a car next to them?!

    Sarah: I'm definitely glad that day is over. I will say that the Redlands Fire Dept did a FINE job;)Not too bad on the eyes. LOL!!!! (Love u Adam)

    ReplyDelete